Crafty Creatives

Back in July, I signed up for Crafty Creatives, a craft box scheme which, for £10.95 a month (plus p&p), sends you a little box of delights full of crafty fun.  Each month the box has a particular theme and the items included will somehow be linked.  So far I have had:

July:  Flowers (this was the CC birthday box)
August:  The Wild West
September:  Monochrome
October:  Circus
 
I loved the first box, which, with 5 kits had plenty to make without me having to think up lots of different ideas.  The kits ranged from a simple paper flower hair slide to a more complicated beaded flower.  I tried all of the kits but have to admit that some of the more time consuming ones still aren't finished.  I have promised to make the crepe paper flower ball (see below for the Crafty Creatives tutorial) for my daughter but I find making the flowers a bit boring and really don't know how long it will take me to finish this!



My crepe flowers are not quite as good as these :/

August was my least favourite box out of the four and I have struggled to think of a use for my pieces of denim and fleece. I made the small dream catcher from the kit which I enjoyed and there was a second kit which was a rope basket (which again, I have started but not yet finished).  I loved the art card, the paper and the turquoise beads included and used some of these to make a birthday card for my Mum who I knew would appreciate the patterns.  I will definitely need some inspiration to come up with something to do with the denim though and all suggestions are welcome!


 



The dreamcatcher from August and my flower hairclip which has been passed around my craft club students at school.






It was around this time that I realised I would be going back to school in a few weeks and that, during September, there would be loads of birthdays.  So I used my Crafty Creative boxes as inspiration for some handmade birthday cards.  I've already mentioned the one I made for my Mum but I also made some for friends and other members of the family.  The seed beads in the centre of these floral cards were from Box 13 but I already had the stamp. 

 

I also made some cards with names on them, in fact most of them were a joint effort between me and my daughter who helped with the watercolour painting of the letters. 


The boxes for September and October have been beautiful.  I loved the monochrome theme of September and enjoyed having a go at needle felting - again my sheep is only half done but I have enjoyed doing it and the craft looks relatively simple although I can see that getting the shape right is going to be difficult.  The circus theme of October was really nice -so bright and colourful!  I haven't yet done anything with this box but am looking forward to doing the mixed media coasters which have been suggested as an alternative kit.

Anyway, I have loved the Crafty Creative boxes and they have inspired me to get crafty through their kits and their themes.  For now, I have stopped my subscription because, without the time and thinking space to get crafting I'm finding that the boxes and materials are mounting up and I'm starting to feel fed up that I can't do anything with them.  However, I will definitely re-subscribe perhaps next summer when I have a bit more time.  Having said that, the Christmas one looks good and might make a festive little treat...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012