Birthday time again!

So my poor, neglected blog is 2 years old and what a lot has changed in the past year!  My resolution to write one post a month has gone completely out of the window but it doesn't mean I've stopped loving my blog.  I just haven't had a lot of time to update it.

                                           Happy Birthday Mrs Birks Blogs...not 6 yet!

Back in February, I wrote about a book called Create Your Amazing Year 2014 (read about it here) which had been helpful in making some changes to my general routines and I was feeling happier.  Later that month, as part of making changes, I went for a job interview and after a thorough grilling, I got a new job to start later in the year.  No biggy you might be thinking but it wasn't just a new job, it also meant a new house, new school for my daughter and a new daily commute into Cambridge.

Instantly, we threw ourselves into the organisation of the move and put Cookie Craft on hold.  Once I started my new job, I was (and still am to some extent) all consumed by teaching, marking, teaching and even more marking.  But there has been lots of fun things discovered on the way and that's what I'm going to write about here...

1. New house, new excuse to be on Pinterest
Seriously, what did I do before Pinterest? I love searching for things to cook, ways to upcycle stuff and with a new house, ideas for decorating.   We haven't done a huge amount of decorating since we moved in but the fun rooms - i.e. those for the children - have been painted.  My favourite room is my little boy's which has the sky, grass and a little road running around it.  Thank you Pinterest for all the inspiration and stolen ideas

2.  Rollerskating on the beach front
Have I talked about rollerskating before?  Not rollerblading but rollerskating on a pair of retro quad skates? (although much cooler than anything I had as a kid).  What could be more exhilarating than a skate along the beach front on a seriously cold and windy day in January?  I'll admit that I sometimes use the buggy as a skate support whilst pretending to be helpfully pushing the baby.  I'm not very good at it and I'd like to learn how to rollerskate backwards but it is so much fun.



3.  Travelling by train
Commuting into Cambridge every day with a 35 minute train journey might not be for everyone but for me it's been quite enjoyable most days.  Obviously, I hate getting up in the morning and walking to the station in the cold but I've found that those 35 minutes have been time for myself.  Some mornings I spend the time marking but many days, I spend it reading and I definitely wouldn't be able to spend that much time reading at home. I've caught up on some of the classics and finally finished The Woman in White, which took me ages to get into.

4.  Discovering 'the selfie' is not for me
The selfie has been a big thing over the past few years but I have to admit, I'm just no good at it.  I've tried a couple of times to take selfies to update my social networks but for a start I'm not into pouting and secondly, I just can't seem to get it right.  Here's me in front of Hogwarts (another school trip to Harry Potter Studios - I will never get tired of going) which is not one of the worst but pretty bad...




So there has been plenty more I could write about including House: Series 8, Strictly Come Dancing, trying to learn how to crump, birthday cakes, Sing-a-long Frozen, The National Trust and pom pom makers but I think I'll save something to write about for next time.

See you again soon, I hope!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012