Exploring Norfolk - Thetford Forest

As many of you know, I have moved house quite a lot.  And not just moved house but moved counties several times.  I think my friends and family probably think I'm addicted to moving house (I'm not - who would be?) but actually, I've just moved to be closer to work - even if that work has been all over the country.  Anyway, my husband and I have decided that we won't be moving again for quite some time, so it's time to find out more about the County where we intend to settle for a while.



Before we moved to Norfolk, neither of us had visited it or really even considered it as a holiday destination but the town where we live has loads of attractions on the doorstep - beaches less than an hour away, forests and nature reserves and nice easy cycle tracks, plus lots of events for kids and train connection to the big cities - what more could a family of four want?

One of our first adventures into the local area was to Thetford Forest.  We were looking for somewhere to go cycling as a family with nice safe cycle tracks and the option of hiring bikes.  After a quick internet search, Thetford seemed a good option, specifically High Lodge where the Go Ape high ropes are based and Bike Art can be found.

High Lodge has several cycle tracks which are rated in terms of their difficulty, we opted for the Shepherd trail which is designed for families and is a nice loop through the forest. We have had huge difficulty getting a bike seat to fit either of our grown up bikes (damn you, eye catching bike design that is very impractical!) so we hired a bike with bike seat attached for my husband to ride - I tried to have a go but couldn't even get on!  We completed most of the track, although it was harder for my daughter, who had never ridden any kind of distance, so we took the shortcut back.

The play area at High Lodge is the gift that keeps on giving - almost literally.  You think you've seen it all, only to discover another section and another and another.  It appeals to a wide age range of kids with varying levels of skill (and bravery) needed to go on the equipment.  For our two year old, the sand pit and diggers keep him entertained, whilst our six year old likes the huge slides.  I personally like the group swing, although it's always moving too quickly for me to get on!



There are other 'pay' activities also at High Lodge - climbing and pony riding.  Both quite cheap at £4 a go and there are free games such as ping pong and volleyball.  There are also other activities we haven't tried yet like the Superworm trail £3.50 or Go Ape £18 for juniors.  We certainly won't be able to put that one off forever but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it yet!

You might think that a forest would be a good, cheap option but beware, High Lodge, has a fairly expensive car park and we soon racked up £8 in parking fees.  I'm guessing this is a standard Forestry Commission thing and that there must be cheaper places to park once you know where to go.  As we were already spending what felt to be quite a lot, we decided to look into the Discovery Pass deal which costs £58 but gives you free parking for a year - a few days out and you would very quickly recoup your costs.  There are also other benefits like discounts at Go Ape and Bike Art plus, of course, you are supporting the work of the Forestry Commission.

One of the indicators of a good day out for me, is whether I can get a good bit of cake.  I could, we shared a Victoria Sponge from the cafe which was reasonably priced and of a decent size (very important).  Overall, we had a great day out and we have been back since.  There's no doubt that it has become a family favourite - which reminds me, we must be due for another visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Christmas Bakes 2012

Mr Birks has Cancer