Game of Thrones has grown up

It took me a long time to warm to Game of Thrones. And I mean a long time...like the first 3 seasons.  I just couldn't see what the fuss was about - too much sex and nudity, naive women with their futures decided by men and an incestuous relationship between brother and sister - I really thought it wasn't for me, in fact I only persevered because my mum had leant me the box set and I knew she'd ask what I thought.  So I sceptically persevered and eventually I was hooked - I can't tell you specifically which moment changed my thinking about the show - there are so many glorious moments in GOT, mostly involving gruesome deaths - but along the way I got caught up in the storylines and now I am completely obsessed.

What I like about GOT is that it is like watching lots of little episodes of a great fantasy/action film. I'm thinking Lord of the Rings without the Hobbits.   I know this comparison will make LOTR fans and GOT fans sigh in equal measure but just think of all the things you loved about LOTR (massive fights, good v evil, the battle for the throne, Sean Bean) and GOT has more.  It is hours and hours long, so the fights can be more intricate, there can be more than one evil character, the throne is bigger and has more swords and although he gets killed off quite quickly (what was he thinking??) there's Sean Bean


It always keeps you guessing. I know this doesn't make sense in a world of Thrones fans who have read the books but for those of us who haven't, the events of each episode appear to be a fairly well guarded secret - remember the ticking off Ian McShane got for revealing he was involved with the return of a much loved character? That was a bit of a slap on the wrist.  Yes, you can find plot spoilers online, partly due to the time it is shown in the States but most of what happens is fairly unexpected and even though you want 'right' to win, you know it might not and that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

GOT has never been scared of killing off the major characters and often many of them all at once - remember the Red Wedding? At least 3 major characters and a direwolf all at once. For the audience, you are always wondering who's going to get it next. I was very worried for Brianne in this last season (my Mum let slip what happens to her in the books) but having got to the end of season six, she appears to be wandering the countryside still alive with Podrick in tow, raising the question - when will she and Jaime meet again? and will a romance with Tormund ever be something we can look forward to?


Perhaps I should mention Jaime here and the other men of the series.  Jon Snow is back from the dead - amazing, Sir Davos has discovered the truth - emotional, Sam has arrived in a place full of books - best library ever and to return to Jaime, he's become an enigma.  Is he back to being the super bad killer he was at the start or has he actually got some morals hidden deep down?  These characters have grown and changed and it makes for very good viewing.

And the women, the fantastic women. Don't get me wrong, there is still gratuitous nudity (oops, my clothes seem to have fallen off again) but many of the female characters have moved from passive characters who have things done to them, to active beings within the plot, taking control and saving the day - how much pleasure was there when Sansa fed Ramsey to the dogs? Or when Arya delivered vengeance to Walder Fray? These girls are kick arse and hold so much power. Talking of Ramsey Bolton, every drama needs a baddy and now Ramsey the psycho is dead who will replace him as the shows ultra villain?  It's Cersei!  Cersei! Always evil but now stepping up to a greater level after torching the temple and all her rivals along with it. Even Jaime is wondering what this crazed bitch will do next!  But despite her crazy ways it is another woman taking control and becoming absolutely central to the plot. And these women are complex, they have suffered and been used, they've faced huge challenges and it's like they're saying 'we won't take it anymore' - Yes!!

I've always thought the special effects in GOT are a bit budget looking. I'm not convinced by the dragons and the CGI of some of the cities is a bit pants but the effects in the 'Battle of the Bastards' were amazing.  It was the best battle scene I have ever watched, outstripping the opening of Gladiator for involving us in the scene. This really captured the hideousness of war, so claustrophobic with bodies everywhere. I did find it gruesome and hard to watch with legless torsos crawling about but it takes a lot to shock a desensitised audience and this really did the job. Beautifully filmed, hugely dramatic and highly emotional - that is TV at its best.


I used to be a bit embarrassed to admit that I was into Thrones, like a dirty secret but not after this season. It has proven itself to be up there with the most quality TV and I will be singing its praises for a long time to come.  My only criticism is that the next season is a long way off.  What will I do in the meantime? 

I might just re-visit those first three seasons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012