Serious Neglect!

Sooooo, I have seriously neglected my blog for the last month - did anyone notice? I'm not sure!  But whilst I've been away I have in fact been doing proper work - my actual real life job.  Yes, my maternity leave came to an end in February and since then I've been focusing all my energy on preparing students for exams and getting them through coursework.  I did have time to enjoy a trip to New York just before half term but apart from that, it's been work, work, work (and in fact, NYC was work too as I was accompanied by 38 students)

Before returning to work, I did have time to do a few bits. Firstly, I tried out a little project from a book called Sew a Metre, which contains loads of ideas of things to make with just a metre of fabric. I needed to make something to tidy up my knitting needles (and newly purchased crochet hooks - more on these later) so opted for a simple needle roll. From my scraps of fabric, I cobbled together a metres worth, in two complimentary colours. I also found some ribbon for the wrap around tie, although this is not so complimentary...



Anyway, the project was simple and the notes in the book easy to follow.  I did a short course in sewing a few years back and learnt my way around my sewing machine but I'm messy and try to avoid anything too demanding (although I have recently been inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee to try harder stuff).  The needle roll took about an afternoon - with a few interuptions from little ones - and probably the most difficult thing was creating the pattern from the measurements in the book as I didn't have paper big enough.  The finished item is not completely perfect (there are a few wobbly lines!) but I have got a customised needle roll that fits everything that would otherwise be hiding in my knitting bag.



My second mini project was to teach myself the basics of crochet. I had bought a magazine called Simply Crochet a few weeks before and was feeling inspired by some of the designs inside. I can already knit, although tend to stick to the easy stuff, and had heard that crochet was fairly easy, so thought it wouldn't take too long...and it didn't. I used the step by step guide in the magazine but found it a little hard to visualise exactly what it should look like, so watched this video, which really got me started. That said, I haven't actually made anything yet and didn't complete the wash cloth pattern as it's not what I wanted to make. However, I'm definitely inspired and am now keen to start a pattern where I can actually make something fun, pretty or useful.

 

Here's my first ever 'bit' of crochet - I'm quite pleased, especially with the tension as the hardest thing I found was mastering the 'hold' of the hook and the thread.  Any feedback would be great - I'm not totally sure if it's right!!

The other thing I haven't mentioned is that I have joined the WI. I officially became a member at the end of January, when Puckeridge WI was founded. So far we have heard about crime prevention and work life balance. We have also had a card making session too and have had a visit from the Herts Archives.  It's given me a chance to bake for others and get a bit more involved in the local community and also I'm in charge of the newsletter and write for the blog - both things which I enjoy and allow me to be a little creative.  Find out more about Puckeridge WI here

Anyway, it's now the end of the Easter holidays, I've had a lovely time with the family but not really done any of the creative projects I intended to.  I have, however, cuddled Baby Henry a lot and what could be better than that? x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012