The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

This year I have certainly got Christmas Spirit and I don't mean the alcoholic type.  Of the recent years I can remember, this is the most excited I've been.  The Christmas tree has gone up extra early, the house has more tinsel than ever (usually completely restricted) and not only have we got an advent calendar each (thanks Mum) we also have advent crackers.  In the last few days of school, we had Christmas dinner (yum!), a carol service, Christmas films and lots of Secret Santa.  Christmas feels like it has really started even though there are still days to go (only a couple now!)

There is something about a Carol Service that just feels right at Christmas.  If you no longer have young children, or don't go to church or aren't a teacher in a Christian school, there's a chance that you might miss out on singing festive classics like Once in Royal David's City and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.  Working in a school which has its own Chapel and a well established choir is a real privilege at this time of year.  Listening to them harmonise and occasionally sing in Latin or French is truly beautiful and makes the time of advent really seem like a celebration.  Equally, I really enjoyed my daughter's Christmas play where she danced to 500 Miles by The Proclaimers and her Christmas service where she made her debut in the school choir - plenty of proud mummy moments

Another fully festive event was the WI Christmas Social which started with some visiting bell ringers who were amazing!  They played some beautiful carols and some more contemporary Christmas songs.  Their concentration was so impressive, I couldn't help but imagine myself in their shoes - I am sure I would fail hideously and everyone would hear! Later in the evening, we iced biscuits, tasted bubbly and made decorations.  I was pleased with my Christmas cracker and enjoyed my first mini mince pie of the season.


Talking of which, I will undoubtedly be doing some more Christmas baking again this year - you may remember me talking about my first attempt at a yule log and gingerbread house last year - I don't know what I'll be cooking up this year but I've already had a go at some Christmas tree biscuits and cupcakes pictured below (you can see the difference between types of colouring here for the cupcakes I used the Dr Oetker gels mixing together yellow and blue, but the depth of colouring isn't really Christmas tree green)


 
Finally, I do wonder if I've peaked too soon with the feeling festive, I wonder if I might start to feel "christmassed out".  Certainly I've had a slight lull this week with cleaning and last minute shopping but now the children have finished school, my little family can go into a full on Christmas countdown, in fact, writing that, I can feel myself getting excited all over again.

Merry Christmas everyone x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012