Blogging and creativity


As my blog has reached its first birthday, I decided it was about time I finished this blog post which I started ageeeeessssssss ago.  What's it about?  Blogging!

When I wrote my welcome post a whole year ago, I mentioned that I have taught about blogging for several years and watched as students created their own blogs.  I was always put off creating my own blog because I didn't really think I had anything to say and I couldn't decide what topic to blog about.  I am typically one of those people who put off doing things because I don't think it will be good enough or that it's too difficult so why even start? I listen to what Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way describes as "creative blockers".  When I finally started blogging I discovered that I have quite a lot to say and quite a lot that I'm interested in - who said a blog had to be about just one topic?  I'm really enjoying reading blogs about my interests (there are so many clever and inspirational people out there) and in turn I am really enjoying blogging.  I wonder why I didn't join in sooner...


So why do people blog?  In David Gauntlett's book Making is Connecting (which is a book I use in my teaching and a very good read) he argues that people contribute to the communal allotment that is Web 2.0 because "Everyday creativity....is a process which evokes a feeling of joy".  Creation of digital products such as a blog might seem different to a work of art, a piece of knitting or an amazing sculpture but Gauntlett makes the connections between these saying "making things to share online is very much a craft process.  You start with nothing, except perhaps some basic tools and materials which contain no prescription and seemingly infinite possibilities" and later "it's also like craft in that the maker imprints some of their character on the work".  I have long been interested in doing something creative but I didn't expect it to be blogging!  Actually, my blog has encouraged me to be creative in other ways too as I have shared things that I have made and bakes that I have undertaken (not always successful!).  I am always looking to try things that I can write about later on my blog.

In his book, Gauntlett looks at studies about blogging which is interesting stuff, especially when you can relate to it on a personal note but it's perhaps his chapter on happiness that is most interesting. I think I'm probably quite cynical when it comes to the idea of happiness studies, after all how can you measure happiness? It's so subjective and if you could work out how to make everyone happy all of the time wouldn't you bottle it and make a fortune? (There is of course a huge industry around self help and happiness books) But being a fairly grumpy/miserable person I am willing to take an interest in anything that might make me feel better.  My favourite part of the chapter basically says people can have a reasonable amount of money and free time but they won't be happy if they're basically bored.  A quote that stands out is from Richard Layard who says "Prod any happy person and you will find a project".  This is my project.  This makes me happy.

Blogging is not always easy though.  Aside from finding time to update regularly and thinking of topics and ideas, it can simply be difficult to write.  Knowing that there is an audience out there (although sometimes it’s hard to imagine anyone reading what you write) but not knowing who they are or what they are doing whilst reading your blog can be a bit scary.  Michael Wesch talks about this in his study of Youtube - see his video An Anthropological Study of Youtube - He calls it context collapse.  There are other fear factors too - What if no one likes me? What if I get a visit from the spelling police?  What if people don't like what I say?  Starting a blog can be a risky business but sometimes you've got to challenge yourself.

There are bigger concerns about the internet too, for example there are those that say web 2.0 sites that rely on user generated content are exploiting us.  That we don't get paid for what we do and in turn, big institutions are making money from our contributions - we are making their websites interesting, whilst they reap the rewards.   That we are generating information that will be used for marketing purposes and that we are basically under surveillance and that our connections don't necessarily make us more creative but that we are in danger of making more "mush" (see Jaron Lanier in Gauntlett).  I can see the validity of all these views and I do wonder how much we should share online but exploitation is a strong word.  I certainly don’t feel that blogger is exploiting me, in fact I’m grateful that blogger has made it so easy for me to share my thoughts and ideas. 
Blogging is exciting, interesting, a little bit addictive and a good way to feel like you're making a contribution to something, however small that contribution may be.

So after a year of blogging, I can say that the reason I blog is simply because it makes me happy.





Happy Birthday Mrs Birks Blogs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012