Christmas Makes

We are not the sort of family who can afford to spend loads of money on Christmas and with that in mind, I always try to add something handmade to gifts that we might have bought.  In the past I have made Christmas stockings filled with little goodies but this year it was the turn of the scrabble and button picture.  Scrabble pictures/coasters/mugs/cufflinks/rings are everywhere at the moment.  What I like about them, is that you can make them really personal and decide exactly what your picture/brooch/coaster is going to say.  I combined my scrabble words with textured papers, photographs, glitter and feathers to create three different frames, each one completely individual to the person it was intended for.  I haven't photographed all of them but here is one made for Auntie Vicki which is very pink and fluffy!

 



As I say, cost is always a factor, so I was pleased to pick up these photo frames in IKEA for £3.50.  I had seen others in Hobbycraft but had resisted buying them.  I was really pleased when I found these because I do like a square frame!


The other cost involved was the scrabble letters which I got from eBay.  There are a range of sellers who all offer the letters for a range of prices.  If I'd thought of it, I would have had a look around the charity shops for old scrabble sets but I didn't - certainly I think this is a good place to start for any future projects.  The textured papers and ribbon were all items I already had in my craft box - there are always left overs and for projects like this, even the smallest scrap of fabric can be useful.  It's probably a good time to say that most of my craft supplies over the years have come from Berkhamsted Arts and Crafts - an amazing shop that is run by my friend and has fantastic stock and fantastic staff.

Having run out of enough letters to make relevant words for a photo frame for my Mum, I opted for a button picture and searched Pinterest for inspiration and ideas.  For this one, I already had fabric, thread and a good range of buttons.  Some of you may recognise one of the buttons from an earlier Crafty Creatives box - I'm still using up those supplies!


I kept this one pretty simple but I was pleased with the final result and I was able to choose the colours to go with my Mum's newly decorated lounge.

Anyway, now that Christmas is over, I'm pleased to be able to share these with you.  Did you make anything over the festive season?  Any other gift ideas are always welcome x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012