Damson Recipes


This summer we finally got around to defrosting the freezer (oh the glamour!) and, in an attempt to do my part, I decided to use up the frozen damsons that had been in there for I don't know how long (I could guess but I'm too scared to!)Anyway, jam was always on the cards - we have made Damson jam before with some success - I used this simple recipe and using the plate in the fridge test, the set was pretty good.    

I also wanted to do something a bit more adventurous though and after a bit of a search, discovered this Damson and Gin sorbet recipe.  We had gin, we had damsons and I also had a Kitchen Aid ice cream churner still in its box from last year when I was lucky enough to get it free with my Kitchen Aid.  A perfect combination!

Now with an ice cream maker you do need to freeze them for a long time (15 hours at least) so it's not something you can use spontaneously.  So I put it in the freezer overnight (it only just fit!) and made the mixture then left in the fridge ready for the morning.  The actual churning took about 25minutes, so it did seem a bit wasteful to freeze the bowl for so long - next time I would make several different ice cream batches to make the most of the bowl's temperature.  

The finished result had an amazing colour and the taste was delicious, very tart but hugely refreshing.  You only need a small bowlful to satisfy dessert cravings.  This is definitely a recipe I would try again, especially as, because it's fruit, I can convince myself it's practically healthy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012