House of Cards Collapses

While Game of Thrones goes from strength to strength (how is this season over already?), what has happened to House of Cards?  The TV drama that changed the way drama is produced and distributed, has gone from gripping, edge of the seat stuff to unbelievable, over-the-top and dissatisfying in one season.




Although I didn't always understand the politics, I loved House of Cards from day one and it was one of the reasons we subscribed to Netflix.  As a Media teacher I admired the way it changed the media landscape by putting the control back into the hands of the audience,  allowing them to choose exactly how many episodes (chapters) they watched and when.  It also proved that in a world of short form video, long form drama is still something the audience wants.  With its film star cast and director, it was also responsible for blurring the boundaries between film and television - it's becoming difficult for critics to claim that film is high culture whilst TV lags behind.

The marketing of House of Cards has also been genius.  The fake Presidential campaign during the real Presidential election debate in 2016 was sheer brilliance and whoever thought of the FU hashtag deserves a massive pay rise.




I also loved Frank.  His disappointment at not being given the position he wanted in episode one seemed good justification for his behaviour and I wanted him to get his own back on these equally shady politicians. I enjoyed seeing his plans unfold and wondering how certain actions would impact on others.  His spiral into more and more immoral behaviour, kept me wondering what would happen next.  I was actively engaged, totally involved and keen to binge on each episode - just like many other viewers.

So with all this in mind, I was really disappointed with Season 5 of House of Cards and that makes me sad.

As much as I love the character, I really want Frank to get his comeuppance.  For me, he has done everything he can possibly do.  He can't go on scheming and plotting forever.  The crimes he has committed can't keep going uncovered.  I actually want to see someone outsmart Frank, to be a significant challenge, to remove him from power - what a plot line that would be, the fall of Frank.   But, to my frustration, it didn't happen this season, not even when he pushed Cathy down the stairs (Where did she go?  Why is she keeping quiet?)  I was hoping that Will Conway (Joel Kinnaman) would be more than a challenge, after all, he seemed equally ruthless and determined but he was dispatched in a convoluted plot involving voting scams and PTSD.  I also thought Claire might really take control, following the end of the previous series but she can't really be bothered to talk to us (or so we are told).   Following that, some characters switched sides, some appeared from nowhere and some just became more and more ridiculous.

As you know, I do love a strong female character and Robin Wright as Claire is amazing but am I interested in her as President?  No.  I might have been at the end of Season 4 and maybe at the start of Season 5 but when she committed murder whilst having sex?  No.  She has become a caricature of the evil queen in a Disney film, only with some strange ideas about relationships.

I genuinely felt at the end of this season that I had wasted hours of my life and that the politics in this season is almost as bad as it is in real life.  Almost.  At least Frank Underwood is fictional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Biscuits

Mr Birks has Cancer

Christmas Bakes 2012